The vision



Unable to sleep, I peered through the latticed window of my small rented room across the fields and hedgerows. They were blanketed in mist beneath a luminous, pre-dawn, spring sky.
I quickly dressed and silently left the inn to walk and breathe the early morning air.

It was enchanting. Wandering aimlessly in the surrounding countryside, listening to the birds' early melodies, and the sound of the dew soaked grass whipping at my shoes as I strolled. There was a whispering stream with moss covered banks. And then there was the lake.

I can remember the lake as perfectly as if it were yesterday. The surrounding alders and willows. The changing reflections, the incredible calm.

Perhaps I was half asleep, but could this really be a dream, or could one's subconscious conjure up such detailed and refined beauty?

Reeds brushed softly against each other, hissing as fish wended their way between them in the depths. The cry of a moor-hen echoed eerily across the calm surface of the water.
Entranced I followed the sound, gazing across the lake. Mesmerised by the soft mists weaving their enchantment, my attention was irresistibly drawn to a certain point between some trees.

There was a strange light and it seemed as if the swirling mists were unveiling the silhouette of a human form.
I held my breath, and dared not move or even blink, sensing that this would erase the vision, if it were so.

Gradually unveiled by the mist, there appeared before me the image of a woman. A gracious and fragile young woman of a strange, ethereal beauty. Her long hair floating, she bathed soundlessly, softly smiling within her translucent world.

Although transfixed where time no longer exists, the gradual return to consciousness, and what I took to be reality, was of my own doing. For I felt unworthy of the privilege of beholding such a vision of innocent beauty. I closed my eyes, wiped away what seemed to be tears of emotion, and looked down. When I finally raised my head to look once more across the lake, I already knew she would no longer be there. The soft shroud of mist had returned.

I felt great wonder, and then sorrow, a strange loneliness, longing and regret.
I remember little else. Perhaps I wandered aimlessly, entranced. Perhaps it really was a curious and beautiful dream, and that as I slept angels smiled as they carried me away to wherever reality still exists.
And yet how is it possible that I eventually found myself, fully clothed, my shoes wet from the morning dew, sitting on my bed in a state of dazed bewilderment?

Later I discovered that there is no such lake in the region where I had stayed. This only increased my confusion, melancholy and nostalgia. Sometimes dreams would haunt and torment me. Images of mockery and delusion. They would taunt me relentlessly as I groped through cold, impenetrable mists, vainly searching for an illusion like a blind, exigent child.
But then I was a child.
For whatever it had been, this unforgettable vision was indeed a fabulous gift. And I was too young then to understand.

I am an old man.
Although I have had the chance to taste the bitterness of defeat, my life has been good. Some projects have failed, but those closer to my heart have been achieved as desired. I have seen man's greatness. More often I have seen his weakness and folly, certainly in myself. And finally I have learnt enough to reach the conclusion that I know nothing.
Yet perhaps I have learnt the meaning of love. If this be so, then time smiles on me now as I await what has to be.
 
*

The sun is rising sending flashes between the golden reeds. The branches of the alders gently sway, caressed by the breeze. Across the lake the cry of the moor-hen is heard.
And the soft mists begin once more to weave their enchantment...
1975
__

C'était une aube lumineuse de printemps.
Ne trouvant plus le sommeil, j'avais quitté l'auberge pour prendre l'air et me promener dans la campagne bleuie par les brumes matinales. 
J'ai trouvé un ruisseau caché courant par là, entre ses rives mousseuses, et en suivant sa course vagabonde, je parvins aux abords d'un lac.

Comme si c'était hier, je me souviens de chaque détail; chaque aulne, chaque saule, les reflets moirés de l'aube sur le lac, la surface de l'eau à peine troublée par des poissons paresseux nageant dans les profondeurs entre les roseaux submergés. Puis il y avait le cri d'une poule d'eau se répercutant à travers la calme surface de l'eau.

Enchanté, j'ai suivi ce son contemplant les vapeurs légères, fasciné par leurs mouvements qui, à un certain moment semblaient s'éclaircir pour révéler une silhouette, une forme humaine. Mon attention devint plus aiguë et je n'osai plus  remuer, cligner des yeux, et même respirer, de peur que cette vision, si ç'en était une, ne s'efface.

Une femme. Le corps frêle et gracieux d'une jeune femme, comme jamais je n'en ai vue, se baignait en silence, lissant ses longs cheveux sur ses épaules, au cœur de cette aube magique. Elle souriait à peine dans son monde éthéré et paisible.

J'étais figé, hors du temps, mais le retour progressif à un état de quasi conscience, et ce que j'ai cru être la réalité, était quand même auto-déterminé. Car je me suis senti indigne de ce privilège de voir une telle vision de beauté innocente et éphémère. Je regarda donc ailleurs, la poitrine battante, et sans trop le savoir l'émotion emplissait mes yeux de larmes.

Quand finalement j'ai soulevé ma tête pour regarder une dernière fois, je savais déjà qu'elle n'y serait plus. Il y avait seulement le doux linceul de brume.

J'ai ressenti un grand émerveillement, puis une tristesse, une solitude étrange, un désir inassouvi et un regret.
Je me rappelle peu d'autre. Peut-être j'ai erré sans but, hébété. C'est vrai peut-être qu'il s'agissait d'un rêve, un songe curieux et beau, et pendant que j'ai dormi des anges ont souri en m'emportant là où la réalité existe toujours.

Mais alors comment est-il possible que je me sois par la suite trouvé entièrement vêtu, mes chaussures humides de la rosée matinale, assis sur mon lit dans un état abasourdi de confusion complète?

Plus tard j'ai découvert qu'il n'y avait pas un tel lac dans la région où j'étais hébergé. Ceci n'a qu'augmenté ma confusion, mélancolie et nostalgie. Parfois des rêves me hanteraient et me tourmenteraient. Images de moquerie et d'illusion. Elles me railleraient implacablement pendant que je cherchais à tâtons par les brumes froides et impénétrables, vainement recherchant une fantaisie comme un enfant exigent et aveugle.

Mais alors j'étais un enfant.
Car quoi qu'elle eût été, cette vision inoubliable répresentait en effet un cadeau fabuleux. Et j'étais trop jeune alors pour le comprendre.

Je suis un vieil homme.
Bien que j'aie eu la chance de goûter l'amertume de la défaite, ma vie a été bonne. Quelques projets ont échoué, mais tout ceux plus près de mon cœur ont été réalisés comme souhaité. J'ai vu la grandeur de l'homme. Plus souvent j'ai vu sa faiblesse et sa folie, certainement en ce qui me regarde. Et finalement j'ai appris assez pour en tirer la conclusion que je n'en sais rien.
Mais peut-être ai-je appris ce que c'est que l'amour. Et si c'est ainsi, alors le temps me sourit maintenant que j'attends ce qui doit être... 
 
*
 
Le soleil se lève envoyant ses éclairs entre les roseaux d'or. Les branches des aulnes balancent doucement, caressés par la brise. A travers le lac le cri de la poule d'eau est entendu.
Et les brumes douces commencent une fois de plus à tisser leur enchantement...
__
 
Text and illustration (The love nymph) © Mirino (PW) October, 2012

No comments: